eat local, grow local
We love the local food and produce of the New Forest and would like to help you to discover more of it yourself. So why not have a go at our five challenges? We’d like to hear how you get on and you can tell everyone via the groups on the right hand side of this page.
1. Eat….Buy and try a local product from your local farm shop or farmers market – and look out for the New Forest Marque as a way of guaranteeing the product’s provenance...by buying food that is locally sourced and produced you are promoting the local economy and preserving the New Forest way of life.
2. Grow….Grow something you haven't grown before. Whether you're a first time grower or a seasoned specialist, your challenge is to grow something different this year.
3. Pick….Pick some fruit – from a tree in your garden, a local Pick Your Own farm, or from the hedgerow.
4. Cook….Cook a dish from local, seasonal ingredients. The main ingredients being local and seasonal. Check out newforestproduce.co.uk for lots of recipe suggestions.
5. Explore….Follow a Food Trail. The Food Challenge currently has two walking trails that celebrate local food and outlets around the Forest area. Pick up a leaflet at a visitor centre or download one from our website - try ‘Beaulieu & Bucklers Hard’ or ‘Milford & Keyhaven’ – inside you’ll find lots of Brand New Forest money saving offers. More Food trails are being developed…watch this space!
This is a New Forest Transition community project. We're aiming to support local producers and farmers, get more people growing their own food and add strength to local communities. For more info click here
We've introduced some 'challenges' for you as we head into 2014....that are designed to help you explore more about the local food and produce on offer here in the New Forest......
Check out the details below!